Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) is a welding process that uses an arc between the tungsten electrode (non-consumption) and the welding point. The process is used with gas protection and without the application of pressure. This process can be used with or without the addition of filler metal. GTAW has become indispensable as a tool for many industries for high-quality welding results and low equipment costs.
The principle of this welding is that the heat of the arc that occurs between the tungsten electrode and the base metal will merge into the parent metal filler metal in which the bow is protected by a noble gas (Ar or He).
GTAW Welding Process:
Electric TIG welding (Tungsten Inert Gas = Gas Tungsten Noble) uses a tungsten electrode which is not an added ingredient. The electric arc that occurs between the end of the tungsten electrode and the base material is a heat source, for welding. The melting point of tungsten electrodes so high up to 3410 ° C, so it does not participate in melt in the event of an electric arc.
Electric stalk equipped with ceramic nozzles for gas throwers protector that protects the weld area from the outside during welding. Most of the added material is used without a membrane electrode is moved and brought to an arc occurring between the tungsten electrode with the base material. Used as a protective gas inert gas such as argon, helium, or a mixture of both gases that its use depends on the type of metal to be welded.
Gas tungsten arc welding Machine character.
Welding Machine AC / DC is a welding machine generator AC / DC used in welding processes GTAW, now welding technology has developed rapidly, including in welding machines now that it has advanced, there are some that are still manual, but today the welding machine has been automatic, for example, Miller Dynasty series 200, this machine is practical because the size is not too big but the resulting arc is very stable.
Gas tungsten arc welding Machine Parts :
- Welding Machine AC / DC.
- Protected gas tube.
- Protected gas regulator.
- Flowmeter for gas.
- Gas hose and fittings binder serve.
- Electrode cable and hose serves.
- Welding torch serves.
- Tungsten electrode serves.
- Welding wire serves.
- Accessories selection
GTAW Welding Rod.
Tungsten electrodes are classified based on their chemical composition. Requirements for tungsten electrodes are given in the latest edition, ANSI-AWS AS.12 about Specification for Tungsten and Tungsten Alloy Electrode for Arc Welding. You can see the picture below this.
Gas tungsten arc welding Advantages:
- High efficiency.
- Can be used for all-position welding.
- It does not produce the crust.
- This welding process is suitable for construction work.
- Needs a little cleaning while welding
- Free from the spark that occurs when compared to other arc welding processes.
- Can be used with or without filler metal required for a particular application.
- Enables excellent control of penetration root pass welding.
- Can produce autogenous welds were cheap at high speed.
- Using relatively inexpensive power supplies.
- Allows precise control of welding variables.
- Can be used to weld almost all metals, including different connection
- The heat source and the addition of filler metal on metal joints are different, can be controlled manually.
Gas tungsten arc welding Disadvantages:
- The wire must gradual process.
- From time to time may occur burn back.
- Welding defects porosity / small holes often occur as a result of the protective gas welding surface, the quality was not good or bad.
See: Underwater Welding
This article about What is about Gas Tungsten Arc Welding. I hope after reading this article, you can more understand Gas Tungsten Arc Welding or we can call TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas). Thank You.